UPDATE: Shreveport Police detectives have arrested and charged a Shreveport man in connection with the slayings of two people found inside a burning vehicle last week.

Police are now preliminarily identifying the victims as 43-year-old Kelly Jose and 33-year-old Heather Jose, a couple who went missing Thursday. 

On November 8, 2018, Shreveport Police patrol officers responded to a vehicle fire on the 3400 block of Penick St. Police say once the fire was out, two bodies were found inside. An autopsy is pending, but police say the bodies have been preliminarily identified Kelly and Heather Jose, both local residents.  Authorities suspect the couple was murdered after giving a ride to a man they met while out shopping. 

On November 10, Shreveport Police say investigators were able to establish probable cause to procure a warrant for the arrest of 34-year-old Dewayne Wille Watkins, along with a search warrant for his Penick Street home where he was later located. Watkins was arrested Saturday evening following a standoff which lasted nearly six hours inside a home in the 3600 block of Penick Street. Police say he jumped out of a window and tried running away, but was stopped by a K9 officer.  He was then arrested and suffered minor injuries.

Shreveport Police say they received help from the United States Marshals Office, Louisiana State Police, Caddo Parish Sheriff’s Office and the Bossier City Police Department during the standoff.
Following his arrest, he was booked into the Caddo Parish Correctional Center on a warrant charging him with two counts of second degree murder.  Bond in the matter has been set at $1,000,000.00.

UPDATE:  The man suspected in a double homicide is being held on a $1 million bond.

Dewayne Willie Watkins is charged with two counts of second-degree murder and is being held in the Caddo Parish jail.

Watkins was taken into custody after a lengthy standoff last night. 

He’s suspected of killing and burning a couple late Thursday night. 

ORIGINAL: A near six-hour standoff ends with an alleged murder suspect in police custody. 

Dwayne Willie Watkins barricaded himself inside of a home on Penick Street to avoid police. Bossier City negotiators along with the help of other law enforcement agencies attempted to bring him out of the home but he stalled. 

A woman came out of the home just moments before the ordeal ended and it is not known if she was involved. 

Police say Watkins tried to escape through a window, then ran into his neighbor’s backyard. A police dog then bit him and he was taken into custody. 

He has been arrested in connection with the couple killed Friday morning.