SHREVEPORT, La. (KTAL/KMSS) – UPDATE: The suspect in the death of a Shreveport woman has been shot and killed, according to the Caddo Parish Sheriff’s office.

Derek Swanson, 28, accused in the Friday shooting death of 26-year-old Taylor Baskin, had been subject of a multi-agency manhunt, after he opened fire on a CPSO deputy Monday.

Swanson went down in a blaze of gunfire just after noon Tuesday, after breaking into a house in the South Lakeshore Drive area. The occupant was upstairs when she heard the sound of broken glass and her dog barking.

She quietly called 911 and told the dispatcher she believed someone had broken into her house, according to Caddo Parish Sheriff Steve Prator.

The dispatcher talked with her, advising her to stay upstairs and assuring her that help was on its way.

A Caddo Parish deputy and three LSP troopers who were nearby, quietly moved in and sealed off a perimeter around the home. Swanson, who was inside, realized someone was upstairs and decided to make a run for it. The sheriff said the homeowner heard more broken glass when Swanson broke out of the back of the home. When Swanson saw the officers, he opened fire on them. They returned the fire with their patrol rifles, mortally wounding Swanson.

After Swanson fired at the deputy Monday, he fled, broke into a home that was occupied, and then left, eluding the massive manhunt that in addition to CPSO deputies, included the Louisiana State Police, agents from the U.S. Marshal’s office, K-9 Officers, with air support from the CPSO Drone Unit and helicopters.

Today, Prator outlined Swanson’s activity between the time he eluded deputies on Monday afternoon and the time he was apprehended at 12:15 p.m. Tuesday. After leaving the first home he invaded, where he discovered another gun, but left it because it was not loaded, Swanson swam across a pond and disappeared into the woods.

But somehow in swimming across the pond, he lost his identification, which was recovered by divers from multiple agencies.

Though the sun went down, CPSO deputies continued to track Swanson throughout the night. They learned that earlier in the evening, Swanson had attempted to steal a truck on Bradford Road off South Lakeshore Drive, but then vanished again.

But the agencies knew the vicinity Swanson was in, so when he showed up at the woman’s home Tuesday, law enforcement was nearby. Prator said once they knew where Swanson was, it took only eight minutes to execute their plan to apprehend him.

Reporter Jenna Jordan has been at the scene for two days and will report from there tonight at 5 and 6, only on NBC6 News.